Questions? Feedback? powered by Olark live chat software

Welcome to the free forums from LandlordAccounting.com. Thousands of Landlords trust our training to learn how to manage rental properties in QuickBooks. You can buy our guide, browse the forums, or read testimonials ♥.

Registration temporarily disabled due to spammers. Please contact us via contact form.

Abandoning Quicken Rental Property Manager to use Quickbooks.

• katrina
    I have been using Quicken RPM (2009) for several years. I have been using QB Pro (2011) even longer for a small business that we have been running for 35 years. We are now closing that "business" and growing the rental property business. I would like start using QB for our rental property business, and move all the rental property info (bank accounts, vendors, etc) from Quicken RPM. Is this possible, or do I just start fresh in January 2012 by setting up all new rental accounts in QB?

Also, one of the features I do love in QRPM was the free document attachment feature. QB 2011 charges a fee for that even if it's local storage. QB 2012 now includes that feature (only local storage) with the program. I guess I'll have to upgrade again! :(
  • Hello Katrina,

Thanks for the message. Can you share why you want to move off of RPM for your business? I'm curious if your frustrations are similar to the other people's I've worked with, or if there are different problems that you encountered.

Either way, probably switching over in Jan 2012 is the easiest way. If you want to export, it is probably possible, but the question is what benefit will you get for the cost in additional effort. If you have all historical transactions available in RPM, and new transactions in QB's, then everything is still available, and you did not have to migrate old data into a new system.
    By Jonathan Wolter Google+
    Author and ProAdvisor. Landlord Accounting eBook and sample files. ♥ Read Testimonials ♥
    QuickBooks Easily Mastered for Landlords, Property Managers, and Investors.
  • katrina
    As stated previously, I have used both programs (Quicken RPM and QB Pro) for several years. I have found that the reports in Quicken RPM are very clunky compared to reports that I've always been able to create in QB. Now that we will be switching over to QB Pro for the RE property,I believe my reports will be more concise, accurate, and I won't have to re-invent the wheel every time I need a report.

I also don't like the fact that Quicken RPM is a glorified personal finance program and therefore there is a greater chance of mixing of personal expenses with business expenses. Reports can become muddled because expense items that should be listed, have been miscategorized under personal expenses. QB Chart of Accounts is a much better and more accurate way to allocate expenses then Quicken RPM "categories".

I feel that I have been "flying by the seat of my pants" using Quicken RPM for the last several years. I am looking forward to doing it right this time by purchasing your ebook and setting up my RE property business using your guidelines.
  • We recently wrote the following blog article with more information about Quicken Rental Property Manager and QuickBooks:
    http://landlordaccounting.com/blog/quicken-rental-property-manager-vs-quickbooks/

Take a look there and feel free to leave a comment there or here on the forum. Thanks!
    By Jonathan Wolter Google+
    Author and ProAdvisor. Landlord Accounting eBook and sample files. ♥ Read Testimonials ♥
    QuickBooks Easily Mastered for Landlords, Property Managers, and Investors.
  • Gurbhagat
    Thank you for this free training!While doing A/P I eeenrtd payments and selected them for printing checks but did not assign check numbers or finish by going to the banking side/write checks. I exited A/P and when I wanted to print the checks it appears that Quickbooks is showing the entries as already paid. Can I delete these entries as I re-entered them the quick method in banking/write checks?
  • Gurbhagat
    Thank you for this free training!While doing A/P I eeenrtd payments and selected them for printing checks but did not assign check numbers or finish by going to the banking side/write checks. I exited A/P and when I wanted to print the checks it appears that Quickbooks is showing the entries as already paid. Can I delete these entries as I re-entered them the quick method in banking/write checks?
  • Marlon
    Would you hepapn Would you hepapn to know why it would only print the top portion of the 1099 and not fill in the bottom? Was this answer helpful?
  • Marlon
    Would you hepapn Would you hepapn to know why it would only print the top portion of the 1099 and not fill in the bottom? Was this answer helpful?
  • Marlon
  • Susi
    Thanks! This will be really helufpl. I'm going to try it out and see if it has features that will work with my goals.I found similar issues with the other online budgeting tools, so I'm happy to hear this one may work for Canadians.
  • Susi
    Thanks! This will be really helufpl. I'm going to try it out and see if it has features that will work with my goals.I found similar issues with the other online budgeting tools, so I'm happy to hear this one may work for Canadians.
  • Robert planks
    I am property manager and I do need this type of tool. It makes my work easier. This will prove as an efficient tool to expand my business. Here is my website: http://www.murrieta-propertymanagement.com/owners-portal/
Start a New Discussion

Hello, Guest!

Read, search, and learn from the forums. Post your own question, or contact us for personalized help.

Order now and you will learn how to manage properties in QuickBooks. Instantly download:
  • 225+ page PDF eBook.
  • Sample company file.
  • Company template file.
  • Satisfaction Guaranteed.

Order Now »
Completely updated for 2012, learn more.

“My accountant… was impressed!”

“Thanks so much for all the help Landlord Acct. has given to me. I spent three hours last summer with my accountant going over your system's approach with rental properties as customers and tenants as jobs, and he was impressed with how well the system works!

David Y.♥ testimonials

Thank you

“Thank you for the Mac QB's file. I appreciate you and all your training material.”

Darleen

“Priceless”

“Just an update since I have had your program for 30 days. What is priceless is having you available to answer questions!!! For that I thank you, because you help your customers without fail. So thank you for the support. That is worth the price. so thank you again.”

Anthony

“Worth $500…inputting 40 homes”

“My staff says your manual is worth $500! They are really happy with your easy to understand, step by step instructions.

“We are inputting 40 homes into quickbooks, using your template. Happy user of your e book.”

Ty E. ♥ testimonials